Peppermint truffles are the perfect healthy sweet treat! These protein packed truffles are great for dessert or a healthy afternoon snack! You won’t believe how easy they are to make and how quickly they will disappear! Naturally vegan, gluten free and dairy free these truffles are fancy enough for parties but easy enough to make any time of year!
Why this recipe works:
- These protein packed peppermint truffles are chocolate coated protein energy bites that are easy to make and super decadent!
- Made with healthy ingredients that are easy to find, these peppermint truffles are packed with flavor and are perfect for holiday parties or weekday snacking!
- The energy bites are a combination of dates, nuts, cacao powder and protein powder and are extremely filling and the perfect sweet snack. Topped with melted dairy free chocolate these truffles are everything you love about truffles with a healthy spin!
- Homemade peppermint truffles would be the perfect homemade gift for the holidays! You can easily customize these based on preferences and allergies! These are already gluten free, vegan and dairy free!
What are truffles?
Truffles are typically made with a combination of melted chocolate and heavy cream that is combined, cooled and then formed into tiny balls and covered in chocolate.
How to make healthy truffles?
To make these healthy truffles, instead of using heavy cream and melted chocolate, the center of these truffles is instead peppermint energy bites.
These energy bites are made from dates, nuts, cacao powder, chocolate protein powder and peppermint extract. This combination is much more filling and takes these from a simple dessert recipe to a healthy and flavorful treat perfect for afternoon snacking!
The peppermint energy bites are then coated in melted dark chocolate to create that traditional truffle look.
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
- Medjool Dates
- Cacao Powder
- Chocolate Protein Powder
- Dairy Free Milk
- Peppermint Extract
- Dairy Free Chocolate Chips
- Remove the pits from the dates. Add the dates to a food processor and process on high about 30 seconds.
- Add walnuts to the food processor and process on high for 1 minute.
- Add the cacao powder, protein powder, dairy free milk and peppermint extract to the food processor and process on high until well combined.
- Form the mixture into energy bites (this recipe will make about 20-21 total).
- Place the energy bites in the freezer 5-10 minutes to help them firm up.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals (takes about 1 minute total).
- Add wax paper to a small baking sheet.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the peppermint energy bites and place directly on the wax paper. Place in the freezer for 15-20 minutes to allow the chocolate to fully set up.
- Store in the freezer (up to 2 months) or fridge (up to 10 days).
What protein powder to use?
This recipe uses a vegan protein powder. It absorbs water and helps add to the structure of the peppermint energy bites. I love to use Nuzest Protein powder because it has minimal ingredient (no added sweeteners or artificial flavors). You can use whatever your favorite vegan protein powder you love.
Protein powder: If you do not have vegan protein powder, you can also use gluten free oat flour or gluten free flour. You will need about 2/3 cups of gluten free flour to replace the protein powder in this recipe.
Walnuts: If you cannot have walnuts, you can also use whatever your favorite nuts or seeds are. Some other great options include:
- Sunflower seeds
- Pumpkin Seeds
Cacao powder: I use cacao powder because it is less bitter than cocoa powder. However if you cannot find cacao powder, you can use cocoa powder (unsweetened).
Dairy free chocolate chips: These truffles are essentially chocolate covered energy bites. Dairy free chocolate chips are easy to melt and typically easy to find. You can also use dairy free chocolate squares, like Unsweetened Bakers Chocolate.
Since these are made with protein powder and dates, you can store them in the fridge for up to 10 days or in the freezer for about 2 months.
TIP: I like to store the peppermint truffles in the freezer and take 2-3 out at a time and move these to the fridge for at least 45 minutes before snacking! This is because they are a bit tough to bite down on right out of the freezer.
If you love this recipe, you should try:
- Gingerbread Truffles
- Chocolate Strawberry Energy Bites
- Double Chocolate Banana Energy Bites
- Lemon Blueberry Energy Bites
- No Bake Granola Bars
What you need to make this recipe:
- Remove the pits from the dates.
- Put the dates in the food processor and process on high about 30 seconds to 1 minute to break them down until they eventually form a ball in the food processor.
- Add the walnuts to the date mixture and blend on high for about 1 minute. This mixture should resemble wet sand at this point.
- Add the protein powder, cacao powder, dairy free milk and peppermint extract to the food processor and process on high, about 1-2 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Take about 1-1.5 tablespoons worth of the mixture into your palm and form it into balls, squeezing the mixture together well to ensure it sticks together. You should be able to make about 20-21 energy bites from this.
- Place the energy bites in the freezer for 5-10 minutes before coating in chocolate so the chocolate coating will quickly start to harden.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave using 30 intervals until melted (will take about 1-1:30 minutes). Stir chocolate well between intervals.
- Using two spoons, cover energy bites in a thin layer of chocolate.
- Place on wax paper lined plate or sheet and freeze for 5-10 minutes so chocolate can harden.
- Sunflower seeds
- Pumpkin Seeds
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal basics and don’t forget to visit my Amazon Shop!
Update Notes: This recipe was originally posted in December of 2014, but was published again in March 2020 to include step by step directions, recipe notes and new photos.