You will never look at cauliflower the same again after you try these cauliflower low carb bagels! Yup now you can enjoy bagels even on your low carb days! These are filled with veggies (hello cauliflower), and super simple to make, all you need is a donut pan!
I started to experiment with riced cauliflower in things like waffles and these low carb bagels when we did an elimination diet for Dave earlier this year. He essentially cut out all processed sugar and starch for a few days to help heal his gut and reduce the inflammation he was feeling. He has done a carb elimination before (to get rid of SIBO) and he pretty much lived off of butternut squash and pumpkin during that time, and I have to admit it was really hard to cook for him. This time I wanted to try to make this experience a little bit easier for him, so making foods he loved was a goal for me!
Why you'll love these Cauliflower Low Carb Bagels
Because riced cauliflower is so versatile and pretty much tasteless, I wanted to see if I could pull off a bread with riced cauliflower, since prior to his elimination he was eating a gluten free english muffin every morning. I had already perfected the recipe for savory cauliflower waffles, so I started from that recipe and modified it a tad to make it a little more dense and able to stand up to being bread. Luckily it worked and I fell in love instantly with these low carb bagels!
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
All you need to make this recipe is a donut pan! I ordered this pan from Wappa on Amazon a few weeks ago and I just love it!
If you don't have an allergy to sesame seeds, I highly recommend sprinkling these with everything seasoning. The everything seasoning on these low carb bagels takes me back to my college days when I would have a hot buttery bagel with scrambled eggs and melty cheese on my way home from work after working all morning in the coffee shop. I lived for those weekend bagels and now I can enjoy them anytime with this cauliflower low carb bagel recipe!
These cauliflower low carb bagels are amazing toasted up in the oven with some runny eggs and smoked salmon or runny eggs and homemade arugula cashew vegan pesto (my favorite way to enjoy them)! I highly recommend you make a batch for brunch this weekend and another batch so you can enjoy them throughout the week. Be sure you toast them up in the toaster oven before you enjoy them, as they can lose some of their pizzazz in the fridge for more than a day or two.
Cauliflower Low Carb Bagels
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Microwave the riced cauliflower (5 minutes) or steam it in a medium pot (7-10 minutes over medium heat), covered
- Once the cauliflower is cooked, add the ground flax and coconut flour and stir well.
- Add the egg whites, salt and garlic powder, stir to incorporate the eggs
- Spray the donut pan with non-stick spray. Divide the mixture to make 8 bagel halves, filling 8 of the donut molds (don't over fill, you want these to be pretty thin - about 2-3 tbs. per mold). Be sure to press down on the mixture, making sure well compacted in the mold
- Bake in the oven at 400F for 25 minutes
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Flip the bagels (I placed a cutting board against the pan and carefully flipped it, keeping the cutting board pressed up against the pan until the pan was completely upside down)
- Flip the bagels and place them on a baking sheet to bake for 5 more minutes to brown on the other side. You can spray them with a little non-stick spray and sprinkle them with Everything seasoning at this point.
- Take them out of the oven and allow to cool.
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal creation basics and visit my Amazon Shop!
What about you?
- Do you have a favorite way to enjoy bagels?
- What is one of those foods that immediately takes you back to your college years?