Cool off this summer with this vegan blueberry coconut frozen yogurt! Celebrate the summer with homemade frozen yogurt! This vegan, low fat, gluten free, dairy free frozen yogurt is out of this world easy and so creamy and delicious! Don’t be fooled, even though this frozen yogurt is quite healthy, it’s also a super indulgent treat!
Dave bought me an ice cream maker for my birthday this year. Apparently mentioning a million times how I really wanted an ice cream maker did not fall on deaf ears and I was so suprised to get this as my gift! I wanted to whip up a batch of ice cream that night, but you have to freeze the base for 8+ hours before using it, so my plans were slightly changed. I have so many ideas on what flavors to make with this frozen yogurt, and blueberry just happened to be what I was craving first.
I’ve always found it interesting how many different colors blueberries are. Their skin is blue, but if you peel away the skin, the inside of the berry is green. But if you cook blueberries, they turn purple! Someone please explain this to me!
I haven’t had a bowl of fro-yo in almost a year. I have no idea why, but that had to change. This version I added some additional blueberries and coconut butter. Honestly peanut butter would have been to-die-for though! Actually peanut butter swirled into this would have been epic, and that will likely be the next version I make!
This recipe is quite simple, only a few ingredients and some time in the freezer! Blueberries, unsweetened vanilla coconut yogurt, coconut cream, stevia, ground chia seeds, vanilla extract and vodka (optional). Don’t be fooled by this short list, these ingredients end up being perfection together.
I only wanted to make a small batch of yogurt, because as I mentioned in my how to stop binge eating post, ice cream is a bit of a trigger for me. So I do myself a favor and don’t make huge batches to tempt me for days. I practiced the same restraint when I made the frozen bananas a few weeks ago as well!Cool off this summer with blueberry coconut frozen yogurt #vegan #froyo #fitflutential @pancakewarrior_ Click To Tweet
I learned that if you add a bit of vodka to homemade ice cream or frozen yogurt, it keeps the mixture from getting so hard in the freezer. You don’t taste the vodka and it’s compeltely optional, just know you might have to allow this to sit out to scoop if you let it get too hard without the vodka.
- 1 pint unsweetened vanilla coconut yogurt (or vanilla yogurt of your choice)
- 1-2 packets stevia
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbs. coconut cream (or heavy cream)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries,defrosted
- ½ tbs. ground chia seeds (or whole chia seeds)
- ½ oz. vodka (optional)
- In a bowl, combine the coconut yogurt, stevia, vanilla extract and coconut cream and optional vodka. Stir until all ingredients are combined.
- In a separate bowl, defrost the blueberries wtih chia seeds. Add to blender or use immersion blender to blend smooth. Place in fridge to allow to thicken and cool slightly.
- Turn on your ice cream maker. While turning, add the yogurt mixture and allow to turn about 10 minutes. Add blueberry mixture and allow to continue turning until semi-firm.
- Scoop out of container and add to a container with a lid. Place in freezer an additional 2 hours until set up but not overly frozen.
- Scoop out and enjoy with favorite toppigns!
What about you?
- What would the first frozen yogurt or ice cream flavor you made?
- What do you like to top your froyo with?
- Have you had a scoop of ice cream or frozen yogurt yet this summer?