Slightly sweet and savory, these pumpkin cornbread muffins are the perfect complement to any meal! These pumpkin cornbread muffins are vegan, gluten free, super simple and full of vitamin and nutrients. Don’t worry though, no one but you will know how healthy they are!
These pumpkin cornbread muffins add a fun touch to your weeknight or weekend meals, and are amazing with a touch of honey or some soft melted butter. I’ve been enjoying them with chili, soup and even cut up and used as cornbread croutons! Pumpkin, sage and cumin, these cornbread muffins are packed with flavor, low fat and extremely filling. I know a recipe is successful when I tell Dave I am making it again and he says “woohoo”! I love when he gets excited about healthy foods.
Fall is quickly approaching, and cravings for fresh tomato salads and frozen yogurt are being replaced by an overwhelming desire for soup, chili and pumpkin pie! Comfort foods don’t have to take a toll on your waist line though. In fact, they can be a vehicle for lots of vitamins and nutrients, especially once we enter winter and the fresh produce options have really dwindle down.
Pumpkin is extremely nutrient dense. You measure nutrient density by dividing the amount of nutrients (vitamins and minerals) by the calories per cup, The higher the number, the better the food is for you. Pumpkin has about 49 calories per cup but provides 100% of your daily recommended need for Vitamin A, 20% of your daily need for Vitamin C and 10% or more of vitamin E, riboflavin, potassium, copper and manganese! You will also get at least 5% for thiamin, B-6, folate, pantothenic acid, niacin, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus. Now you know why I’m crazy about pumpkin!
Like most orange vegetables, pumpkin is packed with beta-carotene, which is converted to Vitamin A in the body. Did your mom ever tell you to eat your carrots for healthy eyes? Well you can add pumpkin to that list as well. Foods with Vitamin E, C and beta-carotene have been shown to help support your eye health, so eat up! Vitamin A (from beta-carotene) has also been shown as an essential vitamin for hormone syntheses in women who are pregnant and nursing.
Now you see why I (and most of America) is crazy about pumpkin! I add pumpkin to everything, especially in the fall! Adding pumpkin to soups, baked goods, pie, pancakes, granola and to other dishes like quesadillas and burgers, is a great way to get extra vitamins and minerals into your body!
Be sure to buy organic canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie puree) in the store though, or you will be in for a harsh surprise. Pumpkin pie puree is loaded with sugar, high fructose corn syrup and other spices. Not exactly good eats if you ask me! If you want o make your own pumpkin puree, here are some great suggestions on how to roast a pumpkin, seeds and all!
As always, I recommend using silicon muffin liners for this recipe. It makes removing the muffins a breeze and you don’t lose half the muffin to the liner. I can’t tell you how many times I baked amazing tasting muffins only for them to be ruined by the muffin liners making eating the muffins almost impossible.
Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- In a large bowl combine the ground flax and the water. Let sit one minute.
- Add the pumpkin puree,chopped sage, coconut flour, corn meal, milk and apple cider vinegar to the flax mixture and stir to combine.
- Add cumin, salt, stevia and baking powder and combine.
- Divide between 8 silicone or parchment paper liners.
- Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Serve with maple syrup, honey and/or butter
- Apple-Currant Dutch Baby Pancake by The Weekend Gourmet
- Apple Swirled Pumpkin Yeast Bread by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread by Party Food and Entertaining
- Giant Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tart by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Potato Buttermilk Biscuits by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Appetizers and Sides
- Butternut Squash, Cauliflower and Cabbage Soup with Lentils by Monica’s Table
- Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins by Pancake Warriors
- Pumpkin Spice Roasted Sweet Potatoes by Love and Confections
- Roasted Veggie Tart by Books n’ Cooks
- Acorn Squash Stuffed with Roasted Veggies & Couscous by Momma’s Meals
- Butternut Squash Lentil Curry Soup by Food Done Light
- Curry Beef Pies by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Fantasy Rice by The Petit Gourmet
- King Prawns in Red Sauce – Mauritian Style Creole Sauce by Peachy Tales
- Pasta with Creamy Butternut & Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Pork Chops with Apple Dijon Sauce and Arugula Salad by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pork Chops with Glazed Apples and Vegetables by The Complete Savorist
- Quinoa and Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash by Feeding Big and More
- Roasted Tomato Soup with Bacon/Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich by A Gouda Life
- Salt Roasted Salmon over Roasted Butternut & Yam Soup by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Sweet Potato French Bean Lentil Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Sweet Potato Alfredo Sauce by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Thai Curry Pumpkin Soup by Eating in Instead
- Whole Roasted Chicken with Vegetables by Life Tastes Good
Desserts and Cocktails
- Apfelkuchen by Curious Cuisiniere
- Applesauce Cake with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Swirls by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Apple Gingersnap Refrigerator Dessert by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Autumn Bellini by An Appealing Plan
- Autumn Spice Cookies by Desserts Required
- Caramel Apple Napoleons by The Crumby Cupcake
- Caramel Apple Pie Bundles by The Freshman Cook
- Caramel Apple Streusel Muffins by The Redhead Baker
- Caramel Apple Swirl Cheesecake No-Churn Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheesecake Swirl Pumpkin Muffins by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chestnut and Pear Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream by Caroline’s Cooking
- Dutch Apple Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Cheesecake with Butterscotch Drizzle by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pumpkin Chocolate Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Pumpkin Crisp by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pumpkin Pecan Bundt Cake by Flour On My Face
- Pumpkin Spice Peanut Butter Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Maple Pears by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Spiced Pear Cake by Simply Healthy Family
- Spiced Pumpkin Bread by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Sweet Apple Skillet Cake by Nosh My Way
Plus, A Guide to Apples plus Best Fall Recipes Ideas for #SundaySupper
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
* This post may contain affiliate links.