Instead of pumpkin apple protein muffins I was going to call these “Holy cow it’s fall in my mouth muffins” but thought that might be a bit over the top – and maybe a bit weird? Hints of nutmeg and pumpkin pie spice are the perfect complements to these soft, moist pumpkin muffins filled with apples and cinnamon.
My Sunday morning started with a 4 mile run. I’m still deciding on a half marathon running plan, but I knew I needed to get a long run in this weekend. I came home and had a big stack of pancakes with Dave and quickly got ready for the hike. We went hiking with my friend Christy and her son at Crowder’s Mountain in NC. We decided to do a trail that Dave and I took on one of our first dates. It’s a 2.8 mile one way hike up the mountain followed by over 300 stairs to the top – note that this is after you walk about 1/2 a mile straight up hill! Talk about a good workout – my legs were screaming at me!
But even with all that walking and all those stairs, getting to the top was completely worth it. We relaxed for a bit at the top, took a ton of pictures of the view and rested for the walk back down.
Luckily I made this big batch of pumpkin apple muffins on Saturday night to pack for the hike. I also threw a few apples and a protein shake for Dave and I in the bag. After all that planning, I forgot to grab the muffins out of the bag to tote with us to the top of the mountain, and by the time we got back, Dave and I were starving. Hangry doesn’t even begin to describe how I was feeling! Needless to say I inhaled two of these babies without a second thought. Normally when I’m that hungry, I don’t even taste the food I’m eating. But the flavor in these muffins shined through, and man they were good and filling too!
I first made these muffins as a mug cake Wednesday night, as I was having a craving for fall flavors after looking at everyone’s WIAW posts. To make the perfect mug cake, just use half of all the ingredients shown below – microwave for 4 minutes on high. The cake will be around 3oo calories and 30 grams of protein – which is perfect for an after workout meal covered in homemade cinnamon almond butter!
The mug cake was good, but it was huge (I ended up sharing a good bit with Dave) but man it was so good. The freshly grated nutmeg pairs so well with the apple and pumpkin in the batter, so don’t leave it out!
Pumpkin Apple Protein Muffin
These Pumpkin Apple Protein Muffins have hints of nutmeg and pumpkin pie spice which are the perfect complements to these soft, moist pumpkin muffins filled with apples and cinnamon.
- 1 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 scoop vanilla protein powder Sun Warrior Vanilla
- 1 tsp stevia 8 little scoops or 4 packets
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tbs. coconut flour
- 2 tbs. spelt flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Large Fuji or Granny Smith Apple peeled and chopped into small cubes
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients (except fresh apple) and stir until combined and lumps are removed. Add chopped apple to mixture and stir to incorporate.
- Spoon into 12 muffin liners, making sure to not be over zealous with the filling, as these do not rise and it will just take longer to cook if they are super full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes depending on your oven.
- These muffins are very wet and I ended up taking them out of the muffin tin and putting them on a cooling rack and let them cook an additional 5 minutes in the oven. It's an extra step worth the effort in my opinion.
What about you?
- Do you have any hikes planned for this fall?
- What do you normally pack for your hikes?
- What is your favorite fall flavor combination?