Chocolate Protein Popcorn, I muttered those words to Dave the other day, and instantly his eyes lit up. And honestly so did mine, as I was really hoping I didn’t have to “talk him into” trying this recipe with me.
This was a recipe where I was not sure how the end result would turn out, but I’m so glad I tried it.
Chocolate peanut butter coating freshly popped popcorn. Yeah we just went there!
Every year around the holidays, I overindulge in that unhealthy chocolate covered sweet popcorn like it is going out of style. It’s a once a year indulgence and I thoroughly enjoy it. But for some reason, I started craving chocolate popcorn the other day.
So I figured I’d try my own chocolate popcorn this time around. I knew I wanted to try the same chocolate coating I used on my Protein Puppy Chow, and I’m so glad it worked out well.
I was worried that the coating would be too thick or that it wouldn’t have the right texture. I resolved that by sticking this in the freezer for a few minutes and viola, perfectly coated popcorn to enjoy!
I used regular natural peanut butter in this recipe, but you could also use the chocolate peanut butter recipe if you have it on hand! If you don’t it’s a really good excuse to make some, because it’s AMAZING on bananas and well just out of the jar honestly!
Protein popcorn recipe tips
I like to make my own popcorn for this recipe. It’s a very simple process and it doesn’t take very long. This way I know exactly what’s in my food, no sketchy chemicals that you might find I the bagged stuff. Plus, popping it at home is such a fun experience, you get to shake the pot and annoy anyone around you – it’s really worth the effort.
As you will see, I make my own chocolate drizzle by combining coconut oil and protein powder. If you really want to take this popcorn to the next level. use this MRM Chocolate Mocha protein powder. The mocha protein powder is fantastic, it’s Dave’s favorite actually!
If you decide you don’t want to use protein powder, that’s ok, just use 3 tbs. of your favorite unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder and 2 -3 tbs. coconut sugar or 2-3 packets of stevia in it’s place.
Chocolate Protein Popcorn
- ¼ cup white popcorn kernels
- ½ tbs. coconut oil
- ¼ cup peanuts - optional
- To make popcorn, preheat a large pot (that has a lid) over medium heat. After preheated, add coconut oil and allow it to melt. Add popcorn kernels, cover and shake to ensure all popcorn is covered with oil.
- Let sit for 1-2 minutes, then shake and stay by the pan, continuing to shake the pan. You will hear the first kernel popping. Set a timer for 2 minutes.
- Shake the pan for the entire two minutes, DON”T TOUCH THE LID!!
- If you don’t hear any more popcorn kernels popping, take off heat, otherwise after 2 minutes is up, take this off the heat. Keep covered 1-2 more minutes.
- All popcorn kernels should have popped.
- Make the Chocolate Protein Sauce: In a bowl, melt 2 tbsp. coconut oil and peanut butter, either over double boiler or in the microwave. Add protein powder and stir to combine. Add chocolate chip or chocolate square. Allow this to melt into the chocolate sauce, stirring to incorporate.
- Drizzle chocolate protein sauce over popcorn, and stir.
- Add peanuts, stir again.
- Place in freezer for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, the chocolate protein coating should have hardened over the popcorn and you can enjoy the popcorn at room temperature. Store leftovers in the fridge.