I love Chinese food and when I say Chinese food, I mean Americanized Chinese food. I still remember when I was younger and my Dad was out of town, my Mom and I would always treat ourselves to Chinese. My Dad didn’t care much for Chinese food so it was a perfect time to indulge ourselves.
We’d always order way to much food so we’d have leftovers. The one thing we’d always love is the sweet and sour chicken. Chicken, battered, deep-fried, and slathered with thick orange tangy sauce. Mmmm it was soooo goood, and soooo bad for you lol! But when I started eating healthier I needed a healthier alternative to my beloved sweet and sour chicken!
Now I confess this recipe uses Guy Fieri’s Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce. While most would state that this isn’t exactly clean – I scoured the grocery aisles for a BBQ sauce that wasn’t loaded with sugar and vinegar (it kills my stomach) and still tasted good. My criteria also includes that I can still pronounce all the ingredients on the back and that there is no high fructose corn syrup – so it’s a win for me.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Make your own healthy version of sweet and sour chicken right in your own home!
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup sweet bbq sauce
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- Spray skillet with your preferred cooking spray.
- Scissor cut chicken into bite size pieces into a skillet.
- Add honey, bbq sauce, and water.
- Coat the chicken with the mixture and place skillet on medium heat.
- Continue to stir contents together until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Sauce should begin to lightly boil.
- Serve over rice or your choice of veggies. My favorite is Jasmine rice and a bell pepper mix!
Spotlight on Honey
It’s true, honey is packed with calories and sugar but it is still a super food and studies are still showing it’s incredible health benefits – so indulge in this delicious dish, but everything in moderation!
- Honey’s antioxidants and flavonoids help to reduce risks in cancer and heart disease.
- Can help in reducing ulcers and gastrointestinal disorders as all honey is antibacterial.
- It is superior in maintaining glycogen levels and improving recovery time – so hit the gym!
- Helps in reducing inflammation, and is used as a cough suppressant/throat irritant.
How About You
- Did you and your Mom have a special food that you shared?!