A healthier version of a classic dish with a surprising twist. Low carb, vegan , dairy free and gluten free this homemade sundried tomato alfredo is amazing! Minimal ingredients, but packed with flavor! This creamy dreamy dish will have you forgetting how healthy it is!!
Growing up we didn’t go out to eat often, but when we did we always begged to go to Olive Garden. It was the only place we were allowed to order soda (Italian cream soda omg I die) and fettuccine alfredo. It’s the only thing on the menu that existed if you asked me (at 10 years old). Every once and awhile I would be able to talk my mom into making my favorite dish. Fettuccine alfredo with jarred alfredo sauce and Texas toast. I would eat until I couldn’t breathe. This was one of my favorite “vegetarian” meals when I swore off meat at 13.
I soon discovered how much fat and calories I was consuming and started to make the lean cuisines instead, adding my own broccoli and veggies to make it more filling. Once I started eating clean, I gave up these boxed dinners, as they were no longer in line with my lifestyle and food choices. Honestly I haven’t thought about alfredo in so long, since that much dairy no longer sits well with my stomach.
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
Well the alfredo craving has come back in full force since I tried cashew cheese. Have you tried it?? You really should, it’s so creamy and tastes just like your favorite cheese sauce. Check out my Portobello “Philly Cheese Steak” which also feature cashew cheese!
I’ve also recently acquired an addiction to sundries tomatoes. I used to hate them – or so I thought. Turns out I really love the sundried tomatoes packed in oil. It’s like pizza sauce in a jar. It smells heavenly and anything you add it too instantly tastes like delicious pizza. See my excessive use of sundried tomatoes on my Sweet Potato Pizza Bites!
So that’s how this dish was born. Saturday night after a day of spin and weight training all I could think about was pizza or pasta. I hate letting food go to waste, and I have some spaghetti squash in the fridge that needed to be eaten!
Holy best idea ever! The squash held up perfectly to the sauce and maintained a bit of texture that you often lose with regular noodles. I had cashew cheese from recipe testing earlier in the day so this dish came together in 10 minutes.
That’s the great part of this sundried tomato Alfredo recipe. Everything can be made ahead of time and you just need to heat everything through right before dinner. Perfect for company or as a quick weeknight meal if you prep on the weekend.
I added spinach to this dish for a pop of color and to add some green veggies. Broccoli or peas would also be amazing in this dish or you can add you favorite protein like chicken, shrimp, or tofu!
Sundried Tomato Alfredo
- Make spaghetti squash using your favorite method (microwaving or making in oven)
- Removed seeds and skin from spaghetti squash
- Place squash in large sauce pan (be sure to divide the strands of the squash)
- In a food processor make cashew cheese (see recipe below)
- Add sundried tomatoes to cashew cheese - pulse until thoroughly combined
- Remove from food processor and place into pan with spaghetti squash
- Add water and turn over medium to medium low heat and stir to combine
- Once hot add spinach and cook until spinach is wilted
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Service with your favorite salad, bread, and wine!
- Boil water, pour over cashews and let sit for 2 hours.
- Drain water, add cashews to food processor
- Add cashew milk and salt
- Blend until smooth
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal basics and don't forget to visit my Amazon Shop!
What About You?!
- Did you love the Olive Garden growing up?
- Whats your favorite green veggie to add to pasta dishes?
- Have you tried Cashew Cheese before?