This roasted delicata squash with maple tahini drizzle is the perfect side dish for any of your meals this fall! Ready in under 30 minutes, this roasted delicata squash with maple tahini drizzle is so simple to make and is sure to become one of your favorite side dishes! Paleo, gluten free, grain free and vegan!
Delicata squash is one of Dave’s favorite squashes (is that the plural of squash, it is now mmmk?). This is actually a huge win in my book because I think that delicata squash is one of the easiest fall squashes to prepare. The skin is completely edible (win for not having to peel them) and they cook up relatively quickly in the oven, so it’s perfect for a weeknight meal as well! I decided to take roasted delicata squash to the next level by adding a simple maple tahini drizzle because everything is better with tahini!
We tend to get into a food rut over here. Dave eats sweet potatoes, his gluten free english muffins and we have pancakes 3-4 times a week. My carbs come primarily from veggies, fruits, pancakes (duh) and the occasional sweet treat (like these pecan chocolate chunk cookies, carrot cake banana bread, and these paleo pumpkin bites). But as soon as I saw the squash out at Trader Joe’s I knew that we had to get out of this food rut and start eating winter squash.
Dave got kind of burned out on butternut squash and spaghetti squash after doing a low sugar diet for 3 months over the winter 2 years ago. He went 3 months without grains, most fruit, sweet potatoes, rice or anything with added sugar. He was limited to pumpkin, winter squash and veggies for most of his carbs. I’m not sure why, but I didn’t make delicata squash often during this time. So last year when I picked up some delicata squash from Trader Joe’s over the fall, he went CRAZY for it! Claiming it was the best squash and that we should have it all the time! LoL.
The point of the story is that delicata squash really is that good, and it’s so super simple to make, you should probably go get some now and make this dish!
If you have never cut a delicata squash before, here is a simple tutorial on cutting and prepping a delicata squash!
Roasted Delicata Squash Maple Tahini Drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 450F
- Cut the delicata squash by removing the ends, standing it up on a flat end and cutting straight down the center. From here remove the seeds and cut into half moon shapes, slightly thinner than your pinky finger
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking dish and spray lightly with non-stick spray. Spread the squash out (it's ok if they overlap a bit). Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and roast at 450F for 20 minutes
- Remove the squash from the oven, use a spatula to gently flip the squash (in big batches) and return to the oven for 5 minutes
- While the squash is finishing, make the maple tahini drizzle by combining the maple syrup, tahini, ground cinnamon, and water.
- Remove the squash from the oven, drizzle with the maple tahini sauce. Top with optional pumpkin seeds