You are going to love this pecan pumpkin pie smoothie bowl, it's a healthy, simple way to start the day. Gluten free, grain free, vegan, and naturally sweetened, this pecan pumpkin pie smoothie bowl is insanely satisfying and nourishing. And I have to admit, this healthy breakfast or afternoon snack really does taste like a decadent dessert.
I'm obsessed with smoothie bowls. Cold and creamy, they are the perfect way to start the day. This pecan pumpkin pie smoothie bowl seriously tastes like a little bit of heaven in a bowl. Just the right amount of sweetness from the figs and vanilla protein powder, you may or may not find yourself licking the bowl clean! The best part, this smoothie bowl is ready in like 2 minutes, thanks to the convenience of canned pumpkin.
Please tell me I'm not the only person in the world to eat pumpkin year round. We have no less than 6 cans in the house at all times. Dave calls it hoarding. I call it being prepared. I am a healthy food blogger after all. And when a craving hits or I have an idea, I don't want to have to wait 2-3 days for it to be delivered to my door. Besides, low carb pumpkin chocolate pancakes have to happen at least once a month around here :)
Anytime I can have something sweet for breakfast, it's a good day. That is after all why I love pancakes so much. I hope to remove the stigma of healthy breakfast having to be boring egg whites, plain oatmeal and black coffee or green tea. I'm sorry but that just isn't living. Instead, be adventurous! Pumpkin is packed with vitamins and minerals, pecans are a great source of vitamins, minerals and healthy fats. Adding a scoop of vanilla protein helps you feel full and satisfied, and it also adds to the creamy texture of this smoothie bowl.
If you find it difficult to get a healthy breakfast in most mornings because of your crazy schedule and you love your sleep, this pecan pumpkin pie smoothie bowl might be exactly what you need in your life! This smoothie only takes about 2 minutes to make and it's perfect to make the night before and store it in a pyrex or mason jar to eat the next day. The flavors actually get even better if it can sit in the fridge for a few hours.
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
Seriously, don't wait until the fall to try this pecan pumpkin pie smoothie bowl, you are missing out! Check out your local Trader Joe's frozen fruit section for the semi-dried figs, which is what I used in this recipe. If you can't find those, smyrna dried figs will also work beautifully in this recipe. Here is a tip though, if you are like me and love a cold smoothie bowl, store your pumpkin puree in the fridge, before making this recipe!
You will also need a good quality blender. I actually use my ninja with the small smoothie attachment. It makes my smoothies perfectly portioned for me (I tend to go overboard when I make them in the actual blender) and it's smooth and perfect in under 30 seconds.
If you are a beginner to making smoothie bowls here are some of my favorite tips.
- Make your smoothie thicker than usual. To accomplish this you can either add less liquid or instead add a natural thickener like chia seeds or flax seeds. Both of these will make your smoothie thick and also add some healthy Omega-3's to your smoothie.
- Add some crunch to your smoothie with your toppings. Nuts, seeds or even granola are the perfect toppings.
- Make them cold! I can't stand for my smoothie bowls to be warm or at room temperature. The colder the better. But I don't like to add ice cubes, it tends to make the smoothie bowl too watery. So instead I keep all my main ingredients in the fridge or freezer.
- Always try to add a source of protein and a healthy fat, especially if this smoothie bowl is a meal! This smoothie bowl kept me satisfied for hours. It had a scoop of vegan protein powder and two sources of healthy fats (pecans and coconut flakes) and added fiber from the chia seeds.
Do you love smoothie bowls? Check out these ah-awesome smoothie bowls!
Pecan Pumpkin Pie Smoothie Bowl
- In a blender add the smoothie ingredients in the order listed above. Blend until completely smooth
- Pour the smoothie into a bowl and top with the chopped pecans, coconut flakes, chia seeds and chopped figs.
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal creation basics and visit my Amazon Shop!
What about you?
- Do you eat pumpkin all year long?
- Smoothies – do you like to drink them or eat them as a bowl like this
- Tell me what your favorite toppings are (for smoothies or fro yo)