Have a fresh, healthy dinner ready in under 10 minutes with this ginger garlic shrimp zoodle bowl. Gluten free, low carb, grain free, paleo and so simple. Dinner never looked or tasted so good!
Ginger Garlic Shrimp
So fun fact, I’m the only person in the house that eats shrimp. Does this stop me from making shrimp, heck no! Shrimp is a great source of protein, is so simple to make (done in like 4 minutes) and is absolutely my favorite salad topping. It’s great cold right out of the fridge, which really helps me on busy days! And I don’t have to worry about my shrimp disappearing like those samoa cookies the three times I made them!
Shrimp was one of the first non-vegetarian foods I learned how to cook. It seemed a little less intimidating. However, it can be a bit tricky. I used to get the precooked shrimp that I just had to defrost and cook for like 30 seconds to get the weird used to be frozen texture to go away. But I learned that shrimp only takes like 4 minutes, so I started buying it raw and cooking it on my own, The shrimp always tastes better this way. The key to making the best shrimp, you have to stay near the pan and be ready to flip these babies in like 2 minutes!
The easiest way to make sure your shrimp tastes amazing. Make sure it was de-veined before you start cooking it. To de-vein shrimp yourself, just run a sharp knife along the back of the shrimp and pull out the black vein that runs down the back. Also be sure to use some sort of acid at the end of cooking. I used lime juice for this recipe, but lemon juice is also a great option. And don’t be afraid to add bold flavors. Garlic and ginger are such bold flavors and the shrimp hold up well against them. Another great idea is pairing it with spinach pesto or kale almond pesto, one of my favorite combinations!
And zoodles, well if you haven’t tried them before, what are you waiting for? This dish I added some veggies I had prepped earlier in the week during my meal prep, asparagus and bell peppers, but you can really add anything you love. As the season changes I will likely change the veggies I mix into this bowl. The ginger garlic shrimp have amazing flavor and pair well with most veggies. You could easily make a stir-fry with this ginger garlic shrimp, but I really love a zoodle bowl with a sauce or dressing. I used the avocado cilantro dressing that I’m obsessed with to pour over the zoodles to make this meal super satisfying and full of healthy fats!
If you’re loving this Ginger Garlic Shrimp Zoodle Bowl be sure to check out Greek Zoodle Bowl!
Garlic Ginger Shrimp Zoodle Bowl
- 1 pound shrimp - peeled and deveined
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 1/2-1 tbs. freshly grated ginger root
- 1 tbs. coconut aminios - or gluten free tamari
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- pinch of sesame seeds
- 2-3 zucchini - spiralized
- 10 stalks asparagus - quickly grilled or sautted, chopped
- 1 bell pepper - chopped
- handful shredded carrots
- Avocado Cilantro Dressing
- If you don’t have asparagus cooked already, heat a large skillet with 1/2 tbs. coconut oil or coconut oil spray over medium high heat. Add chopped asparagus to a hot pan and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once asparagus has cooked about 5 minutes, remove from heat.
- Turn the heat of the pan down to medium and add another 1/2 tbs coconut oil or spray with non-stick coconut oil spray.
- Add chopped garlic and let cook 30 seconds.
- Add the peeled, deveined shrimp and grated ginger to the garlic, let cook 2 minutes. Carefully turn over the shrimp and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add the coconut aminos and lime juice.
- Spiralize the zucchini and divide between plates. Add the chopped veggies and top with shrimp.
- Quickly make the dressing and pour over zoodles and shrimp. Enjoy!
- Serves 2-4 depending on how much shrimp you decide to eat right from the pan!
Thursday 11th of January 2018
This recipe looks amazing except that I don't see the ingredients or instructions for the Avocado dressing. Can you please add that? Thanks!!
Thursday 11th of January 2018
Hi Ellen! The Avocado Cilantro Dressing is on another post. You can find the recipe here: Avocado Cilantro Dressing
Tanya @ Mom's Small Victories
Friday 25th of March 2016
Oh this is making me soo hungry. I haven't tried to make zoodles before but I really need to. Thanks for sharing with Small Victories Sunday Linkup, pinned to our linkup board.
Thursday 24th of March 2016
I still haven't tried spiralizing but 'zoodles' just sound so cool! #freefromfridays
Wednesday 23rd of March 2016
This looks amazingly delicious!! I need to get me one of those spiralizers! Thanks for sharing on My 2 favorite Things on Thursday! Hope to see you tomorrow! Pinned!
Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
Tuesday 22nd of March 2016
Okay, I think I have all of these ingredients but just one problem... I SUCK at making shrimp. I always make my husband do it because I tend to overcook them!! And he isn't home right now... I might have to suck it up and give this a shot.