Have a fresh, healthy dinner ready in under 10 minutes with this ginger garlic shrimp zoodle bowl. Gluten free, low carb, grain free, paleo and so simple. Dinner never looked or tasted so good!
So fun fact, I’m the only person in the house that eats shrimp. Does this stop me from making shrimp, heck no! Shrimp is a great source of protein, is so simple to make (done in like 4 minutes) and is absolutely my favorite salad topping. It’s great cold right out of the fridge, which really helps me on busy days! And I don’t have to worry about my shrimp disappearing like those samoa cookies the three times I made them!
Shrimp was one of the first non-vegetarian foods I learned how to cook. It seemed a little less intimidating. However, it can be a bit tricky. I used to get the precooked shrimp that I just had to defrost and cook for like 30 seconds to get the weird used to be frozen texture to go away. But I learned that shrimp only takes like 4 minutes, so I started buying it raw and cooking it on my own, The shrimp always tastes better this way. The key to making the best shrimp, you have to stay near the pan and be ready to flip these babies in like 2 minutes!
The easiest way to make sure your shrimp tastes amazing. Make sure it was de-veined before you start cooking it. To de-vein shrimp yourself, just run a sharp knife along the back of the shrimp and pull out the black vein that runs down the back. Also be sure to use some sort of acid at the end of cooking. I used lime juice for this recipe, but lemon juice is also a great option. And don’t be afraid to add bold flavors. Garlic and ginger are such bold flavors and the shrimp hold up well against them. Another great idea is pairing it with spinach pesto or kale almond pesto, one of my favorite combinations!
And zoodles, well if you haven’t tried them before, what are you waiting for? This dish I added some veggies I had prepped earlier in the week during my meal prep, asparagus and bell peppers, but you can really add anything you love. As the season changes I will likely change the veggies I mix into this bowl. The ginger garlic shrimp have amazing flavor and pair well with most veggies. You could easily make a stir-fry with this ginger garlic shimp, but I really love a zoodle bowl with a sauce or dressing. I used the avocado cilantro dressing that I’m obsessed with to pour over the zoodles to make this meal super satisfying and full of healthy fats!
Garlic Ginger Shrimp Zoodle Bowl
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2-1 tbs. freshly grated ginger root
- 1 tbs. coconut aminios or gluten free tamari
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- pinch of sesame seeds
- 2-3 zucchini spiralized
- 10 stalks asparagus quickly grilled or sautted, chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- handful shredded carrots
- Avocado Cilantro Dressing
- If you don't have asparagus cooked already, heat a large skillet with 1/2 tbs. coconut oil or coconut oil spray over medium high heat. Add chopped asparagus to a hot pan and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once asparagus has cooked about 5 minutes, remove from heat.
- Turn the heat of the pan down to meidum and add another 1/2 tbs coconut oil or spray with non-stick coconut oil spray.
- Add chopped garlic and let cook 30 seconds.
- Add the peeled, deveined shrimp and grated ginger to the garlic, let cook 2 minutes. Carefully turn over the shrimp and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add the coconut aminos and lime juice.
- Spiralize the zucchini and divide between plates. Add the chopped veggies and top with shrimp.
- Quickly make the avocado cilantro dressing and pour over zoodles and shrimp. Enjoy!
- Serves 2-4 depending on how much shrimp you decide to eat right from the pan!
What about you?
- Do you make shrimp at home?
- What is your favorite way to make dinner in under 10 minutes?