Show someone some love by making them these easy almond raspberry thumbprint cookies this week! They are so simple to make, have homemade raspberry jam that is naturally sweetened and so delicious! Vegan, gluten free, grain free, paleo and so delicious.
Growing up my mom would make homemade thumbprints over the holidays, and the raspberry and strawberry were always my favorite. I remember helping her fill the jelly in the center, just waiting to stuff the cookies in my mouth. I don’t remember these ever being around the house for long. I was a bit of a cookie fanatic and would find every reason to get a cookie from the fridge when I was little. Looking back it’s no wonder I’m obsessed with cooking, I don’t remember having many store bought snacks, so making my own food was really ingrained in me from a young age.
I really do appreciate that my mom included me in baking and cooking when I was little. I can still remember the first time my mom let me mix the ricotta for stuffed shells all by myself while she stayed in the living room, I remember thinking “These are going to be the best stuffed shells ever”. I was hooked, it was just the start of my love of making my own food.
After years of following recipes with my mom and creaming together more butter and sugar you can imagine, the past few years I have been doing my own recipe creations. As I started to focus on more healthy eating, my baking has also changed. After I discovered healthy eating blogs and heard that you could bake and make pancakes healthier with protein powder, that was my new obsession. Now most of the recipes I make are made with protein powder and coconut flour base, since this base provides me filling protein and fiber so I don’t feel like I have to eat the entire batch of cookies after getting that first sugar fix.
Sometimes, I still eat half the batch though. Like these almond raspberry thumbprint cookies. Yeah I definitely ate more of these than I needed to. Dave has a tree nut allergy so these cookies were all for me! I might be nice and make these with sunflower seeds and sunbutter for him. Sometimes I’m nice like that! Although I have a feeling he will be asking for dark cherry or blueberry thumbprint cookies because those are his two favorite fruits.
Making your own jam is pretty simple, all you need is chia seeds and an immersion blender or small high speed blender. You just need to defrost your frozen fruit, add the chia seeds and blend. The pectin in the fruit combined with the chia seeds makes the perfect jam for these thumbprint cookies!
Easy Almond Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Combine the chia seeds and warm water. Let sit 1-2 minutes (stir well).
- Add banana and mash into the chia seed mixture. Add apple sauce and milk. Combine well.
- To the wet ingredients, add the protein powder, coconut flour, almond meal, and plantain flour and stir well.
- To this add the almond butter, vanilla extract and make sure to mix well until the almond butter is fully incorporated.
- Add baking powder and mix.
- Using a tablespoon, measure out the cookies onto a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper and sprayed with non-stick spray. Don't worry about creating the thumbprint until they come out of the oven.
- This recipe will make 18-20 cookies.
- Bake for 17 minutes at 375.
- While cookies are baking, make the raspberry jelly
- Defrost the raspberries in a large glass jar. Once defrosted, add the chia seeds and blend well with an immersion blender. Alternatively add to a high speed blender and blend till smooth.
- Once cookies come out of the oven, use the back of the tablespoon and create small thumbprints in the cookies while they are hot.
- Spoon in the chia jam and allow to cool completely.
What about you?
- What was the first thing you ever made by yourself in the kitchen?
- Do you have any food allergies?
- What flavor jam would you add to these cookies?