Don’t wait until Taco Tuesday to make these veggie packed mouth-watering cauliflower breakfast tostadas! They are going to be your new go-to brunch recipe! Paleo, grain free, whole30 approved and so simple to make!
I encourage all of my clients to break their fast with veggies and protein, so I thought I would share one of my favorite recipes. This cauliflower breakfast tostada recipe uses riced cauliflower in the base! If you know me, probably aren’t surprised by this! I became obsessed with all things cauliflower about 2 years ago and I’m still not over this obsession! It’s the perfect base for pizza, ice cream, grain free oatmeal, smoothies and so much more!
Not only are these cauliflower breakfast tostadas full of veggies, they are also a low carb way to enjoy tacos! They can actually be picked up, just like a taco shell! They are not a mushy mess (like the cauliflower crust pizzas I used to make WAAAAYYY back in the day).
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
The secret to making these cauliflower taco shells crisp up in the oven without cheese is ground flax seeds! I love using them when baking in place of eggs for a “flax egg”. But flax seeds are also a great way to help absorb extra moisture in a recipe. This recipe combines riced cauliflower, ground flax seeds, coconut flour and egg whites to make super easy dough to work with. Note if you buy flax seeds already ground, be sure to store them in the freezer so they don’t go rancid on you!
The ground flax seeds and cauliflower rice also make these tacos way more filling than traditional flour tortillas! So you actually feel full, instead of craving more and more food. This is one of the big things I try to work with my clients to figure out for themselves. What foods do they love and how can they make them more satisfying without taking away from the enjoyment.
To make sure these don’t taste anything like cauliflower, I made sure to season them well with cumin, garlic powder and chipotle seasoning. But you can use whatever you have on hand that you love.
These tostadas bake up in the oven (vs. being cooked in a skillet like pancakes). This gives you the ability to make quite a few at once and still have time to sip your coffee or come up with your weekly meal plan while they are baking. They refrigerate well too, so you can make them during meal prep and eat them for a few days in a row.
You do want to make sure that you press these taco shells as thin as you can with your hands, reforming the edges a with your fingers so they stay relatively round. Be sure to start with clean hands. This should only take you a minute or two. Once the dough has been made, scoop out 2 tbs. of the mixture and press it thin with your fingers. After baking for 15 minutes, you will want to remove from the oven and rest for 1-2 minutes before flipping them. Once you flip the tostadas, they will need to bake for another 15 minutes to ensure they are crispy and won’t crumble at the first sign of toppings.
Love breakfast for dinner? Make these tostadas with this Roasted Vegetable Bisque.
Veggie Packed mouth-watering Cauliflower breakfast tostadas
- 1 bag frozen organic riced cauliflower - Trader Joe's or Whole Foods
- 2 tbs. ground flax seeds
- 3 tbs. coconut flour
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. chipotle seasoning
- 4-8 eggs - cooked however you prefer
- 2 roma tomatoes - chopped
- 2 tbs. chopped cilantro
- 1/2 lime - juiced
- 1-2 avocado - smashed
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Microwave the frozen cauliflower rice for 6 minutes until cooked through (you could also cook on the stove for 10 minutes).
- Add the ground flax seeds and stir well. Let sit 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Let sit 1 minute.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper over a cookie sheet and spray with non-stick spray.
- Using a tablespoon, measure out 2 tbs of mixture. Press into a thin circle, reforming the edges using your fingers to maintain a circle.
- Continue this process with the rest of the dough. You will get about 6 cauliflower tortillas per cookie sheet. Repeat the process on a second cookie sheet
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake at 375F for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 2 minutes. Carefully flip the tortillas with a large spatula.
- Return to the oven and bake for 15 more minutes.
- While the tortillas are baking, make your eggs in a skillet.
- Chop the tomatoes and cilantro. Combine them in a bowl with a pinch of salt and the lime juice
- Smash the avocado in a bowl.
- Assemble your breakfast tostada, add the cooked egg to the cauliflower tortillas, top it with the tomato mixture and smashed avocado. Enjoy!
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal basics and don't forget to visit my Amazon Shop!