Protein puppy chow (muddy buddies) is the perfect way to celebrate the holidays. Made with dark chocolate, peanut butter and protein powder, this gluten free, vegan recipe is the perfect snack. Kids love it too! Best of all there is no sugar high to come down off of so you can feel great about serving it at parties! Please note that this delicious treat is not for doggies, sorry pup!
I don’t remember my mom ever making puppy chow, probably because the usual recipe is a sugar bomb and we would have been bouncing off the walls for hours. But I do remember having this at various parties and thinking that I could eat the entire bowl in one sitting. There is something about chocolate and peanut butter that just makes me a do a little dance.
What is Puppy Chow?
Never had puppy chow? Stop everything and go buy some Chex Cereal. You don’t know what you are missing! Puppy chow is also called muddy buddies (but I’ve never heard anyone use that term).
Puppy chow a recipe where peanut butter, butter, and melted chocolate are mixed together and then poured over Chex Cereal, coating the cereal in a base of chocolate peanut butter goodness. While the chocolate peanut butter mixture is still fresh, you then blanket everything with a coating of powdered sugar.
Sounds pretty much like every child’s dream right? Well it’s pretty good, no I take that back it’s addicting. Naturally I wanted to make this holiday favorite without so much added sugar.
How to make protein puppy chow
To make protein puppy chow, I used protein powder instead of powdered sugar. Genius right?
The process is still mainly the same.
- Step one: Melt together chocolate chips and natural peanut butter (the runny stuff with the oil on top when you buy it). Add a tablespoon of coconut oil or avocado oil to help thin it out. Add a serving of protein powder to help it stick to the rice cereal. Pour the chocolate peanut butter mixture over the rice cereal in a large tupperware or gallon zip lock bag and stir, stir, stir (should look like the photo in step 2).
- Step 3: Once coated, add the protein powder and cover the tupperware with a lid.
- Step 4: Shake shake shake!
Adding protein is a great way to make a snack more filling, and by removing most of the added sugar, there is less of a sugar high to come down from. But I will tell you that this protein puppy chow is just as addictive as the traditional recipe. And it can disappear quickly if you aren’t careful! So do your best to be mindful or you will quickly be wondering where all your protein puppy chow went!
For the protein, I used Nuzest chocolate protein with this recipe.
Get 15% off your order of Nuzest pea protein using the code below. Just enter it at checkout!
Nuzest is the only protein powder I use now, as my old brand was testing positive for heavy metals and I don’t react well to whey protein! I highly recommend Nuzest, they don’t even add any sweeteners to their protein, it’s so incredible!
If you love this recipe, you have to try this pumpkin spice protein puppy chow as well! It is one of my favorite fall recipes!
More protein packed holiday recipes you will love:
Protein Puppy Chow
- In a microwave safe dish, melt dark chocolate chips in 30 second increments (for about 1 minute).
- To the melted chocolate, add the peanut butter and coconut oil. Stir well until everything is incorporated.
- In a large bowl, add Chex cereal.
- Pour chocolate mixture over cereal and mix until all pieces are covered in chocolate.
- Add 1 serving of protein powder to the chocolate peanut butter mixture and stir well.
- Pour cereal into a Tupperware container with a lid. Add protein powder and shake shake shake.
- Shake until all cereal pieces have a thin coating of chocolate protein.
- Refrigerate 5-10 minutes to allow chocolate to set.
What about you?
- Do you have a holiday favorite you decided to give a healthy makeover to?
- Have you ever tried Puppy Chow?
- What is your favorite combination of chocolate? Peanut butter, mint or orange?