I have two super simple snacking ideas for you: Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites and Pumpkin Pie Spiced Roasted Chickpeas. You just can never go wrong with peanut butter. These peanut butter cookie dough bites remind me of when I would steal the batter from my mom’s peanut butter cookies when I was a kid. Another childhood memory I have is eating big bowls of popcorn that my mom would make from the popcorn machine on Friday nights. These Pumpkin Pie Chickpeas are my protein packed alternative to popcorn. Who says food can’t taste good and be healthy?
Dave and I went to yoga Monday evening for a hot vinyasa fusion class. The room is heated (but not too terribly) and the humidity was at around 95%. Needless to say I was drenched 15 minutes into class. We were working through some hip opening moves, and I’ve been really really neglectful of stretching and well honestly, I was dying! But just when I needed it Lauren (the instructor) said “Fill your head with your breath instead of your thoughts”. I felt like she was speaking directly to me!
I love that moment of clarity you can achieve if you just let it all go. I immediately vowed to implement this in my life outside of the yoga studio as well. Honestly, I’ve been feeling a little overwhelmed in the kitchen lately, as most of my recipes haven’t been working out. I keep forgetting how amazing the basics are; and sometimes, I just need to be reminded to get out of my own head!
With that being said, here are two incredibly easy recipes with three ingredients each that will have you scratching you head at how good they are (and how easy they are to make!).
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use Raw Fusion Vanilla Bean)
- ¼ cup natural peanut butter - I liked chunky (microwaved for 20 seconds or so to loosen)
- ¼ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- In a bowl, combine the peanut butter and vanilla protein powder until a crumbly mixture forms. Add the almond milk and stir until a cookie dough consistency is met. Roll the batter into tablespoon sized balls. These are awesome right away but were even better the next day! Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator 2-3 days. We made 12 out of this mixture at 42 calories each and 3 grams of protein. Not too bad for as filling as they are!! Caution: Highly addictive.
- 1 can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (divided)
- 2 packets stevia or 4 scoops (divided)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Put chickpeas in a mixing bowl and add 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice and 1 packet stevia.
- Mix until all chickpeas are covered with spice mixture.
- Pour chickpeas on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray (I use coconut oil). Place in oven for 20-25 minutes, stirring half way.
- Now the important part: As soon as these are done, you will need to spray them again lightly with coconut oil or your non-stick cooking spray and coat with additional teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice and stevia packet. The oil will help ensure that the spices stick to the chickpeas.
- How do you know these are done? They will shrink significantly and all the moisture will be removed, If you taste test one, it should be crunchy. I often make these then turn off the oven and let them sit an additional 5-7 minutes in hot oven so that all the moisture has been removed.
- Wait until you are done cooking to add the extra pumpkin pie spice and stevia as you want the flavor to be prominent. Leave the chickpeas on the cookie sheet for a few minutes to cool before putting away if you can, to ensure they will all be crunchy!
These little babies are the perfect snacking option, they are high in fiber and protein (and you made them at home and know the ingredients!). Try them out, I promise you won’t regret it 🙂 I can makes 3.5 servings, 110 calories, 6 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber! I would store these in a zip lock bag on the counter for 1-2 days most.
Sugar and Pepper say namaste!
What about you?
- What do you do to get out of your own head?
- Does your yoga teacher ever say something to you and it just changes everything about your week?