Summer is almost over and besides the warm nights and hours of sunlight, I will miss the bounty of fresh fruits and veggies that are grown locally here in NC. I will especially miss perfectly ripe peaches. When they are good, I end up putting them in everything; yogurt, oats, salads, pancakes and smoothies to name a few.
I was inspired by a comment on my apple cinnamon overnight oats that mentioned using greek yogurt in their oats. I’ve heard of this before, but I must confess I have not tried it until now! I just bought a ton of greek yogurt and oats during my grocery haul this weekend, so I figured it was meant to be! I also bought WAY too many peaches. I just can’t help myself. Her helpful comment is what made this recipe really come together in my head!
I wasn’t sure if I was going to like the yogurt and peaches in the oats, but its delish! The peaches add that bit of sweetness and helps cut the tartness of the yogurt. Cinnamon and nutmeg add that bit of spice that you would get in any good peach cobbler here in the south. Again, no cooking involved here – just throw everything in a jar and viola, you have the perfect breakfast waiting for you in the morning. Adding protein powder to this recipe is optional, as usual (I only added a half of a scoop) since the greek yogurt has protein and is quite filling.
Speaking of helpful people. Yesterday I walked out of work and noticed that my tire was extremely low. There is a gas station close to my work, so I thought I would just stop there and get some air. Turns out I did not remember to put my wallet in my purse from the weekend and recently cleaned all the change/cash out of my car. I was almost in tears wondering what to do. Thanks to the kindness of strangers, I was able to get the air I needed without even shedding a tear. One guy even asked if I had enough gas to get home once I told him I forgot my wallet! Oh how I love the south! I guess this is my good karma points catching up to me! I helped a few kids get home by filling their gas tank a few months back and have been riding that karma wave for awhile!
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 3 scoops stevia powder or 2 packets stevia
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup hot water
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ½ container greek yogurt
- ½ peach, peeled and diced. (If you have a stubborn peach, here's a quick way to peel a peach).
- ½ scoop vanilla protein powder (Sun Warrior Vanilla)
- Place oats, chia, stevia, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a travel ready container (aka mason jar).
- Add water and stir immediately. Let oats absorb water while you peel and chop ½ peach.
- Add almond milk, greek yogurt and peaches to oats mixture and stir.
- Place in refrigerator overnight. In the morning, add optional ½ scoop vanilla protein powder and stir until all powder is absorbed .
- Top with raspberries, peaches, or your favorite nut (walnuts or pecans are my favorite!).
I still need to perfect a peach cobbler or crumble before summer is over – does anyone have a clean recipe they wouldn’t mind sharing?