Chocolate strawberry energy bites are the perfect way to indulge that sweet tooth, but don’t expect these to last long around your house! They have a tendency to disappear almost instantly! They are the perfect post-workout snack, since they are packed with protein, allergy friendly, sweetened with dates, are gluten free, and vegan! Oh and they require no chopping and no baking at all, just a few whizzes in the food processor and a quick roll in your hands, these energy bites are done! So easy!
I am a chocolate lover. Hands down, I can’t go more than a few days without my fix. Maybe you are like me? If you are than make these chocolate strawberry energy bites, and don’t tell your family or friends. But maybe, just maybe you don’t love chocolate like I do… I bet your friends in the office do though! You should totally make these, they are so easy, (far easier than baking cookies), they are no bake and crazy addicting. You will quickly become the popular desk to stop by, especially around 3pm when everyone is in their afternoon funk.
These energy bites provide natural energy from dates, they are filling thanks to the protein powder and coconut flour and they are filled with strawberry goodness which makes chocolate that much better. Don’t worry about handing these out at work, they are allergy friendly! Made with sunflower seeds and a vegan protein powder, they are great to pack in your kids lunch box or to take as an after school snack as well.
Dates are naturally sweet. They are my go to source of quick carbs after a grueling workout. You know that workout that you didn’t’ think you would make it through but somehow you did and you feel weak in the knees walking out of the gym. That’s your body telling you that your stored glycogen (the glucose that is stored in your muscles) has been exhausted and your body is running very low on it’s favorite source of fuel. Post workout is actually one of the best times of the day to get your carbs in, so eat up!
Strawberry Energy Bites Recipe Tips
This recipe takes no time to make because I used my food processor! I also bought freeze dried strawberries, which are great because they don’t add any extra liquid to the energy bites but still provide a ton of vitamin and minerals and flavor! If you haven’t tried them you should!
Indulge your sweet tooth with chocolate strawberry energy balls
- Soak the dates after removing the pits in hot water for about an hour (if not fresh).
- Add the dates to the food processor and process till smooth.
- Add 2 tbs. water, the sunflower seeds, protein powder and chia seeds and process until smooth.
- Add the coconut flour, cacao and vanilla extract. Process, you may need to add an additional 2 tbs. of water. Process until smooth.
- Add the freeze dried strawberries, process then add the mixture to a large bowl.
- Roll out energy balls, about 1 tbs. worth of mixture each.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for about a week. You can divide the layers of energy balls with wax paper.
What about you?
- What is your go to post-workout snack
- Do you make treats for your co-workers (maybe you should)
- What is your favorite combo of flavors? Mine is chocolate/peanut butter, chocolate/strawberry, chocolate/orange… do you see a pattern here?