I have been doing some trial and error with how to drink more water throughout the day. I have noticed that I am not getting my 8+ glasses a day and I think it’s because I am bored with my water! I don’t know about you, but I go through phases of loving water and really struggling to even drink more than a glass without being miserable.
Maybe I’m being a bit dramatic! But I have found that some natural additions can really bring water to a whole new level. I know you are probably thinking yeah ok Sam lets put some lemon in the water, but I’m saying think outside the lemon/lime box. Before we get into some great water combos, lets chat quickly how much water we should have each day and why it’s so important!!
Drink More Water Spotlight
Here are some great reasons to drink enough water everyday:
- Metabolic functions improve
- Nutrients can be carried through the body easier
- Liver functions improve and you can use more fat for energy!!
- No water retention
- You will not mistake thirst for hunger! <— This is a huge problem for me! I now try to drink water every time I feel hungry outside of my normal eating times.
Did you know that thirst is not a great indicator of your water needs? And drinking soda/coffee/tea should not be replacing your water intake for the day!
How much water should you be drinking everyday? Well it’s recommended that sedentary women should drink at least 8-9 cups of water a day, and sedentary men should drink at least 12-13 cups of water a day to maintain adequate hydration and keep the bodies systems functioning properly. Are you surprised by these numbers? I know I was! If you are trying to lose weight, you should actually be drinking even more water than this!
So you ask, how in the world am I suppose to drink that much water everyday and not get bored? Well let’s talk about that shall we? I love to start my day off with a big glass of room temperature lemon water. It’s easy for me to drink a glass while I’m waiting on my coffee to brew. Lemons are a great source of Vitamin C and potassium! This should be enough reason for you to drink some lemon water everyday – give your immune system a boost!
Adding fruit/herbs to your water helps flavor them naturally without adding a ton of calories. Yes, I admit you may ingest a few extra calories, but nothing to be overly concerned about! Plus, think of all the health benefits you are getting for your body drinking enough water everyday. And if you are drinking enough water, I guarantee you your hunger cues will be much better, which may help you lose weight in the long run.
Drink More Water Recipe Tips
Lemon / Lime– packed with vitamin C and potassium – great for helping keep your immune system in tip top shape. Also the citric acid in lemons and limes is known to help break up uric acid buildup, which can be the cause of arthritis in the body!
Orange – of course packed with vitamin C which are rich in carotenoid compounds which are converted to Vitamin A, which is great for you vision!
Ginger – Zingy ginger adds a nice change to boring water! As many of you probably discovered as kids, ginger can help with easing an upset stomach (Ginger Ale anyone)? But did you know that ginger also helps with the absorption of nutrients and minerals as well?
Mint – Mint not only smells amazing but it’s also a great addition to your water. It can help calm an upset stomach
Cucumber – besides the wonderful refreshing flavor they bring, cucumbers are also full of vitamin K and potassium.
Berries – packed with vitamins and antioxidants, not to mention their distinctive flavor! I love putting frozen berries in my water but sometimes I like to go all medieval on fresh berries and give them a good mash to release their flavor in the water.
Basil (unpictured) – full of antioxidants and one of my favorite herbs, basil is a great way to take ordinary water to extraordinary (especially in the summer)
If you’re worried about having fruits and veggies floating around in your water check out these infusers (affiliate link)!
- Basil and fresh berries – think mojito style here. Freezing berries and basil (especially if you notice you have extra basil that may be going bad, making ice cubes with fruit and basil to pop into your water. So easy and it saves you from letting this awesome herb go to waste!
- Cucumber and mint – seriously cucumber water is on it’s own level. I can easily refil my glass 2-3 times without losing the flavor. It’s amazing. The mint brings out the best parts of the cucumber flavor too!
- Orange and ginger – this is so refreshing! I love to drink this after a lunch
- Strawberry and lime – this is also one of my favorite margarita flavors… hmmm wonder if that has anything to do with this?
- Basil and cucumber – perfect summer drink (well really anytime but I always have extra basil during the summer). It’s so refreshing!
Remember to wash all your fruits/veggies and herbs (affiliate link) before adding then to your water! Buy organic when you can, especially since these will just be sitting in your water!
What about you?
- What is your favorite way to drink more water?
- Do you have a favorite fruit/veggie/herb you like to add to your water?
- What’s your best tip on how to drink more water?