This hearty asparagus soup with parsnips and chickpeas will certainly fill you up without ruining weight loss goals. I crave warm hearty soups during the colder months, and this one delivers in both flavor and comfort! Adding some roasted kabocha squash croutons or a bit of Parmesan cheese and olive oil takes this dish to another level.
Mondays can be tough for me. Mondays right before a holiday where I get a few days off from work are just a little bit easier though. 🙂 I mentioned this before, but it’s worth mentioning again, I joined the Holiday Sweat Challenge and signed up to be an Elf for Health in an effort to keep my clean eating and exercise routine during the holidays. There have been some years where I just completely let my self-control down and gained unnecessary weight during this time of the year. If you struggle with the same thing, join me and sign up to be an Elf for Health with the Lean Green Bean and According to Elle and get your own elf for round two starting December 5th. You can still participate in the activities until you get your elf. Until then, I can be your personal elf, follow me on facebook, twitter or instagram (links below) and track your progress with me! I love meeting new people with similar goals!
Ok back to the soup. Monday nights I leave work and meet the girls to run and then go to yoga with Dave. That normally means I don’t get home until after 9:45. The last thing I want to do is fuss over dinner. So I made a big batch of this asparagus soup so I would have something hearty and filling to refuel after yoga. This soup is perfect, as it has asparagus, chickpeas, and parsnips blended together with a bit of vegetable stock. It seriously could not be easier to make. Another plus is that the longer it sits, the better it gets. This soup is the perfect way to stay on track with my clean eating and weight loss goals and stick to meatless Mondays! The chickpeas provide protein and fiber and add wonderful texture to the soup.
Here is a fun story, I made a similar soup one year for my family as a starter to a holiday meal (either Thanksgiving or Christmas), and I forgot to trim the asparagus. The stalks are very woody and do not break down in the blender. Needless to say, the soup was a major fail and I have NEVER forgotten to trim the asparagus since then. It’s always when you are entertaining right? 🙂
- 1 lb. asparagus, end trimmed
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- ¾ cup chickpeas, drained and rinced
- 1 cup vegetable stock, low sodium
- 2½ cups water
- ½ to ¾ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Heat oven to 450. Once oven is at temperature, roast asparagus and parsnips for 15 minutes.
- Add asparagus parsnips and drained chickpeas to blender or food processor. Add the water and vegetable stock and blend until smooth.
- Heat soup over medium heat to bring to temperature. Drizzle with olive oil. Feel free to top with Parmesan cheese or my personal favorite roasted kabocha squash "croutons".
What About You?!
- Do you crave warm hearty soups during the winter?
- Maybe you haven’t signed up for Elf for Heath or the Holiday Sweat Challenge, but do you have any health goals during the holidays?
- Wanna keep each other motivated during the holiday season, send me a note and we can support each other!