We all love the holidays. It’s a chance for us to catch up with friends and family, get some time off work to relax. It allows us to take a break, enjoy life, and indulge a little. But yet most of us have that sense of guilt during the holidays and we worry about our waistlines (maybe a bit to much). None of us want to back peddle during a holiday weekend on a diet or fitness regiment we’ve been working hard at for months.
Well if you’re worrying, don’t be! Follow these great tips and you will breeze through your weekend feeling great, looking great, and being guilt free!!
My Holiday Survival Tips
1. Drink lots of water all weekend – it will help you stay hydrated and you will be less likely to mistake thirst for hunger while you are tempted by all those “snack” foods waiting on the main course!
2. Pick a meal you are going to splurge on and go crazy! If you know you can’t resist the burgers, have them! Maybe you are a sweet tooth (like me), and you can’t imagine passing up a few cookies or pie. Go for it.
The point is make decisions before you start eating. Having a plan will help curb any pre or post guilt feelings. If you chose the burger, limit your snacking to veggies and hummus and have a small fruit plate while everyone is enjoying dessert. Maybe you chose snacking as your splurge – go crazy, but here is a tip: Have your snacks on a plate. Snacks on a plate are more visual to the eye and you will be able to see how much food you are eating. It also takes you more effort to go back and fill your plate for rounds two or three. Remember, sometimes you just have to enjoy life and thats nothing to feel guilty about! (80/20 rule).
3. Have protein at every meal. This will help you feel full before arriving.
4. Suggest a friendly game of cornhole, frisbee, volleyball, can-jam, or something similar that can keep you active. This will help you avoid mindlessly munching on all the great snacks available and you will have so many more memories with great friends this way!
5. If you are going to drink, follow some great rules that will help you feel better the next day:
- Have a glass of water after you finish every drink.
- The less sugary stuff in your drink, the better you will feel the next day. Check out our skinny-mini margaritas for some great suggestions.
- My go to drink is vodka, water, and the juice of two lime wedges. I promise you the lime cuts the vodka and everyone that tastes this drink is surprised by how smoothly it goes down! I also do the same thing with Jameson!
- If you are drinking a light beer, check the calorie and carb content and be mindful of what you are consuming. Not all light beers are created equally.
- Wine – make this into a fun sangria by adding some flavored sparkling water and fresh fruit. See my sangria recipes below! It won’t change the taste and it will make the drink go much further.
6. Ask the host/hostess if you can bring a dish or help with the preparation of dishes if you are concerned there is not a healthy option
7. Fill your plate with salad before noshing on a second burger or hotdog. You still need your veggies!
8. Workout the day of the event and have workouts on your calendar for the rest of the week so you know you have a plan to get “back on track”. People are notorious for saying “Well I didn’t make it to the gym on Monday and I ate crappy, I guess I’ll just start again next week”. No, start again tomorrow! Know you kicked ass at the gym before you came and feel guilt free about enjoying your weekend!
Almost Guilt Free Margaritas
The only guilt you may have is not having another! 😛
Skinny-Mini Watermelon Margarita
4 cups of seedless watermelon, cubed
Juice of 3 limes
2 oz. triple sec (or other orange liquor)
½ cup tequila
3-4 packets stevia
½ tsp. salt
2 cups water
1 tablespoon chia seeds
Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until watermelon is pulverized. Divide evenly between 6 glasses. Pour over ice in a glass rimmed with salt or sugar, lime (and optional lime wedge).
Alternatively, you can make a “mixer” by just combining the watermelon, lime juice, stevia, salt, chia and water in the blender. Blend until smooth. Add ½ oz Triple Sec and 1 – 1 ½ oz Tequila to a glass that has been rimmed with lime, sugar (or salt) and lime wedge.
Calories: 118 | Carbs: 11 | Fat: 1 | Protein: 1 | Sugar: 7
Skinny-Mini Raspberry Lime Margarita
2 cups frozen raspberries
Juice of 3 limes
2 oz triple sec (or other orange liquor)
½ cup tequila
4-5 packets stevia
½ tsp salt
3 cups water
1 tablespoons chia seeds
Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until raspberries are pulverized. Pass through mesh strainer if concerned about raspberry seeds. Serve over ice.
Calories: 124 | Carbs: 11 | Fat: 1 | Protein: 1 | Sugar: 3
Almost Guilt Free Sangria
Lemon Basil White Wine Sangria
2 lemons, thinly cut
10 leaves of basil
1 packet stevia
1 bottle white wine (Pinot Grigiio or a similar white wine would work best)
2-4 cups of sparkling water (depending on how potent you want these)
Optional: 1 cup sliced strawberries
Place half lemon, basil. and all the stevia to a large pitcher, mash with fork to bruise basil and release lemon juice. Add remaining ingredients to the pitcher (lemon, basil, wine and sparkling water) and mix thoroughly. Place a few optional strawberries to bottom of wine glass, add ice and sangria mixture. Enjoy!
White Peach (or nectarine) Raspberry White Wine Sangria
2 diced, peeled white peaches or white nectarine
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup frozen raspberries
1-2 packets stevia
1 bottle white wine
2-4 cups sparkling water
12 mint leaves
Place peaches,raspberries,mint and stevia into a large pitcher and press down on these to release juices and bruise the mint (to release the flavor). Add wine and sparkling water and mix thoroughly. In a glass with ice, add sangria mixture, and top with one mint leaf and lemon wedge (optional)
You will notice that most of my recipes use stevia. I choose stevia because it’s not chemically engineered like most of today’s zero calorie sweeteners, it’s actually derived from a plant. It’s a lot sweeter than your average sugar so you use a lot less for the same result!
Have a safe, relaxing, and guilt free weekend! Let me know your favorite skinny cocktail!