This Grilled Veggie Mexican Chopped Salad is such a fun way to use up those extra grilled veggies you have from your cookouts! Anytime we fire up the grill around here, inside on the grill pan or outside on the grill, I try to make an extra servings of grilled veggies and grilled corn, if I have them on hand.
There are so many great uses for these grilled veggies. You can chop them up and put them on a pizza, you can put them inside of a panini, or you can do like I did in this recipe and chop them up and make a chopped salad. Let's be honest, you can really do any flavor of salad that you want; this one happens to be a Mexican inspired! But I encourage you, let your mind go crazy with ideas!
I usually end up using my grilled vegetables on just about everything throughout the week so I try to keep the seasonings minimal. My go-to seasoning is Weber Grillers roasted garlic seasoning. It makes everything taste like heaven: chicken, fish, veggies; you name it, it's better with it. Once the summer produce really starts coming in, I usually have an entire refrigerator drawer with just veggies to grill or spiralize.
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
This Mexican chopped salad is a great way to use up those extra veggies. I love using salsa as the dressing with this chopped salad. I find it adds just the perfect amount of flavor and it cannot be easier. When I go to Chipotle I can't resist the corn salsa. I decided to make my own grilled corn salsa. It turned out to be one of my favorite parts of this salad. I love the sweet corn against the spice of the salsa and the smokiness of the cumin and the black beans.
True to my childhood memories, I used romaine lettuce for the base of the salad. We would always have romaine or iceburg lettuce that I had to help mom chop when we had taco night. I remember trying to stuff as much food as possible into the taco shells and it would inevitably break and I end up eating most of my taco with a fork. It's no wonder I love this salad so much! It's pretty much just deconstructed taco if you think about it.
If you have any leftover chicken, shrimp, salmon or tofu that you grilled with those veggies, you can easily add that to the salad as well. You can let the salsa do most of the flavoring for you or you could add some Mexicans spices such as cumin, coriander, chili powder and smoked paprika before adding it to the salad.
But honestly I'm a girl that loves her beans and will happily nosh away at this salad as is for days at a time. If you aren't vegan, you could also use some cheese on this salad. I've been loving the cheddar goat cheese I picked up at trader joes. It doesn't seem to upset daves stomach at all which makes it perfect for us! Monterey Jack or Gouda would be awesome here too!!
Grilled Veggie Mexican Chopped Salad
- 2-3 heads of romaine washed and chopped
- 1-2 large zucchini grilled and chopped
- 1-2 large summer squash grilled and chopped
- 1/2-1 red bell peppers
- 1/2-1 red onion grilled and chopped
- 1-2 avocado
- 1/4 head red cabbage chopped
Grilled Corn Salsa
- 1-2 ears of corn grilled and stripped from the cob
- 2 tbs red onion finely chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 2-3 tbs cilantro chopped
- 1/4 tsp red pepper
Seasoned black beans:
- In a small saucepan, add the drained rinced black beans, water, onion, seasoned salt and cumin. Bring to low boil. Cover and reduce heat. Cook 5 minutes.
- While beans are cooking make the grilled corn salsa:
Grilled Corn Salsa:
- Using a large sharp knife, remove the corn kernels from the cob. Add them to a bowl. Add chopped red onion, cilantro and tomatoes. Add red pepper to your taste.
- Using veggies that have already been grilled:
- Clean and chop the lettuce, add it to a large bowl.
- Chop the zucchini, squash, bell pepper and onion into bite size pieces and add to the lettuce.Chop the cabbage and slice the avocado. Top lettuce.
- Add grilled corn salsa and black beans.
- Use your favorite salsa or chimichurri sauce for dressing!
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal creation basics and visit my Amazon Shop!
What about you?
- What is your favorite veggie to grill?
- Do you ever use salsa as dressing?
- What's your favorite way to make salad?