Tender, soft chocolate zucchini muffins. These beauties are not just tasty, they are insanely healthy. And I promise if you don't tell your kids/spouse/office mates that these zucchini muffins are healthy, they will never know! They will happily gobble them up, veggies and all! The zucchini goes undercover in these muffins, hidden by all glorious chocolate flavor. These muffins pack an added punch though, in the form of filling protein. Greek yogurt adds to the tenderness of these muffins while also providing additional protein.
Dave and I have been focusing on getting our veggies in at every meal. I challenged him to even get his veggies in his snacks as I handed him a chocolate zucchini muffin. He grinned at me and said if this counts as a veggie, he was happy to make that commitment. Needless to say, we are flying through zucchini around here and I couldn't be happier about it. I just adore these zucchini muffins, and once you try this recipe, I'm convinced you will too.
If you have a picky eater on your hands, I implore you to try this recipe on them 🙂 I can't remember a time when I didn't flock to every kind of vegetable available. I mean I start most days with a cup of frozen spinach, but you better believe I never would have turned down anything chocolate. Never, not once. Chocolate is perfection if you ask me 🙂
GET 10 OF MY ALL TIME GREATEST RECIPES
IN THIS FREE EBOOK
These muffins would be a great addition to a lunch box, an after school snack or an afternoon adult pick me up. These are sweet enough to dessert but are the perfect pick you up in the afternoon, especially Mondays! They are filled with fiber (from the zucchini, chia seeds, and coconut flour), packed with protein (from the greek yogurt, egg whites, and chocolate protein powder) and can be mixed by hand in a bowl in less than 5 minutes! From start to finish they only take about 40 minutes, and will feed the family all week. If I were smart, I would double the recipe and froze half for later in the week, these went fast! I think I will go do that now!
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins Recipe Tips
These muffins will be very wet and not very yummy if you don't remove the excess water from the zucchini. To do this I just ring them out by hand. You don't have to be perfect about this, but remove the 1-2 tbs. of excess water for the perfect tender, fluffy muffin.
I used Fage 2% Greek Yogurt for baking (and eating non-stop). It's a bit thicker than the fat free greek yogurt, and I'm convinced it gives the muffin it's perfect texture. You can use the fat free Greek yogurt, just reduce it by a tablespoon or add an additional teaspoon of coconut flour. I'm not sure why you aren't eating the 2% thought, it's really the best.
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 1 cup zucchini - grated and squeezed to remove excess water
- 4 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt - I used Fage 2%
- 2 tbs. coconut flour
- 2 tbs. chia seeds
- 2 scoop chocolate protein powder - I used SunWarrior
- 2 tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbs. Hershey special dark cocoa powder - or another scoop unsweetened regular
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tbs. cacao nibs - optional
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grate 1-2 medium zucchini in a bowl. Squeeze the zucchini out to remove excess water. Drain the water. Place to the side.
- In a large bowl combine the egg whites, the egg and greek yogurt. Beat for 1 minute by hand with a fork.
- Add coconut flour, chia seeds, protein powder and cocoa powder. Mix to combine.
- Add zucchini, vanilla, cinnamon and cacao nibs(optional). Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Add baking powder and combine. Let sit until oven is preheated.
- Line muffin tins with silicone liners or parchment paper liners. This recipe will yield about 10 muffins (depending on how big you make them)
- Divide the batter equally between muffin liners and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
SHOP MY FAVORITE FAST MEAL MUST-HAVES
Use the buttons below to buy my must-have fast meal creation basics and visit my Amazon Shop!
What about you?
- Zucchini muffins? Chocolate, cinnamon – what's your favorite flavor?
- Do you eat Greek yogurt, if so 2% or fat free?
- What is your favorite way to use zucchini?