I received free samples of California walnuts mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by the California Walnut Commission and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
These cherry walnut bites are the perfect way to fuel for recovery after a workout! Packed with healthy fats, protein, and naturally sweetened, these vegan, gluten free, paleo friendly treats will be your new favorite snack.
Have you ever had a crazy intense workout and even days later you are still feeling sore? Well instead of popping an over the counter pill, try reducing your inflammation with food! I know it sounds crazy but it works! Dark cherries, ginger, and walnuts are all known for their anti-inflammatory properties! Like I really needed to give you a reason to devour these yummy cherry walnut bites!
After almost 2 months of not having the energy or time to workout, I can happily say that I have been in the gym or working out at home for the past week without fail. Everyday I feel like I have a little more energy and I am trying to really push myself at the gym when I’m there with super-sets and high intensity interval workouts! Let me tell you I feel like I’ve never worked out before, I am SORE! It’s a good sore, but it can be a bit difficult since I have to demo exercises, have lots of energy and be ready to get down and dirty with my crew if I think they could use the energy or motivation.
All of that requires that I take care of my body. I can’t walk around sore and stiff for days at a time. That’s why I keep yummy snacks like these cherry walnut bites around! The omega-3 fatty acids in the walnuts are a natural way to reduce inflammation in the body. The dark dried cherries have no added sugar and are known to help reduce inflammation. Ginger, prized for helping relieve stomach problems, has also been used for centuries as a natural way to relieve muscle inflammation.
Heads up though, you don’t want to completely remove inflammation from the body. That’s why you will never hear me recommend an over the counter pain reliever to my clients. Your body must go through the inflammation process to allow your muscles to grow! Inflammation is the bodies response to the workout you did and inflammation will elicit recovery. The thought is that without allowing the inflammation to occur, it will actually take longer for the muscles to recover.
Cherry Walnut Bites are Clean Fuel!
That’s why I would rather stick with these cherry walnut bites! They are packed with clean fuel for your body too! Healthy fats from the walnuts, quick carbs from the cherries, protein and fiber from the protein powder, chia seeds and coconut flour. Nothing unnecessary in here! All tasty clean eats!
Love the easy that energy bites bring to your healthy snacking? Be sure to check out these Lemon Blueberry Energy Bites.
Cherry Walnut Recovery Bites
- Soak the cherries in hot water for at least 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove the cherries from the soaking water, adding them to the food processor, reserving the water. Add 3 tbs. of the water from soaking to the cherries in the food processor.
- Pulse until slightly broken up.
- Add 1 cup of the walnuts and process 10 seconds or so.
- Add the protein powder, chia seeds and coconut flour. Process well until combined. You might have to scrape down the sides once or twice.
- Add the cinnamon, ground ginger and vanilla extract. Process again.
- Add the remaining walnuts at the end and only process quickly to chop them, don't process until smooth.
- Scoop out about a tablespoons and a half of the mixture and roll into a ball between your palms forming recovery bites. Store in a sealed container in the fridge.
- Prep time indicates soaking. Cook time represents time to make and form the balls
What about you?
- How do you recover after a tough workout?
- Do you make your own snacks or buy store bought?