The only thing better than butternut squash soup, is butternut squash soup with goat cheese croutons. I dare you to try this soup and goat cheese crouton combo and not be hooked! It’s gluten free and easy to make. The butternut squash soup is made in the slow cooker, and the goat cheese croutons only take about 15 minuts tops. That means you can still have dinner on the table in under 20 minutes with some strategic planning!
We all want to find more time in our day. Between work and trying to spend quality time with family and friends, things like healthy eating and exercise are often the first to go, I mean who has time to assemble an intricate meal, especially around the holidays. But I absolutely refuse to eat crappy food just because I am short on time. Yes I said it, and I mean it! With just a little bit of preparation, you can have dinner waiting for you when you get home. That my friends is what you call winning!
I’m a huge fan of meal planning. Heck I even have a free one week meal plan that you can download now (Get It Here!) because I want you to see just how easy healthy eating can be. My gym members are raving about how wonderful it is to come home to dinner already cooked, all they have to do every night is assemble and bam, healthy dinner on the table in under 20 minutes (usually about 10 minutes). Have you gotten your free week of meal planning yet? If not, be sure to sign up today!
This soup is the perfect example of why meal planning works. During your weekly meal prep, you would peel and cut your butternut squash so it’s ready to go in the slow cooker in the morning before you leave for work. Then you get to come home to soft, ready to puree butternut squash, just begging to be made into soup. You will have freshly made homemade soup in literally 2 minutes flat.
And you seriously don’t want to miss out on these goat cheese croutons, they are gluten free and so simple. Just a few ingredients and they will make everyone in your house wonder into the kitchen wondering what’s for dinner, because the aroma is so heavenly. These goat cheese croutons make this meal something you would easily be able to serve as a first course at a dinner party, or you know just to your spouse after a long day at work. Talk about making dinner seem extra fancy with almost no effort at all.
But you have officially been warned. These goat cheese croutons are not for the faint of will. They are fan-freaking-tastic. And addicting. Like seriously addicting. Don’t leave them unattended in the kitchen, they are bound to disappear! And don’t invite me over for dinner, I’ll eat them all and then some 🙂
So what do you need to make this recipe a success? I would recommend a slow cooker, an immersion blender (affiliate link), parchment paper, and a baking sheet. The slow cooker makes this dish stupid easy, as the squash have time to soften while you are at home. The immersion blender allows you to blend the squash right in the slow cooker (affiliate link), making less dishes to clean. The parchment paper keep the goat cheese croutons from sticking and the baking sheet is for those precious croutons!
You only need 8 ingredients: Butternut squash, vegetable broth, cinnamon, salt, goat cheese, garlic powder, almond meal and non-stick spray. Yup for just 8 ingredients you can have decadent soup you would easily pay $10 for at a restaurant for a mere fraction of that cost. And you can eat in your pj’s or yoga pants if you dare!
Butternut Squash Soup with Goat Cheese Croutons
- 1 large butternut squash about 3-4 pounds, peeled and cut into smaller chunks
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
Goat Cheese Croutons
- 1 log goat cheese See Below for Diary Free Option
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Peel and cut butternut squash into manageable chunks. Be sure to remove the seeds.
- Add butternut squash and vegetable broth to crockpot and cook on high for 6 hours.
- After 6 hours, remove the lid and puree with immersion blender or transfer to high speed blender and blend until smooth (you may need to do this in batches)
- Add cinnamon and salt to the soup and stir to combine.
- About 30 minutes before the soup is ready, preheat the oven to 375F.
- Cut the goat cheese into 8-10 coins and refridgerate for 10 minutes. You may need to mold the cheese back into a coin shape if it falls apart. This can be done the night before or early in the morning as well.
- Right before you put these in the oven, add 2 egg whites to a bowl and whisk to combine them.
- In a separate bowl, add the almond meal (flour), garlic powder and salt. Mix to combine.
- Add the goat cheese coins to the egg whites then transfer them to the almond meal. Be sure to coat well to cover. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Once all the goat cheese coins are covered, place them in the oven for 12-13 minutes.
- Remove and serve over butternut squash soup!
- Cook time reflects the time in the slow cooker!
For dairy free use 2 tbs of Kite Hill Cream Cheese Spread instead of Goat Cheese
What about you?
- Have you ever had goat cheese croutons?
- What is your favorite slow cooker meal?
- How often do you have soup for dinner?